Summer is coming. Engage with Wasaga Beach Climate Action Team
Wasaga Beach Climate Action Team
June 2023 Newsletter
As summer is coming, we are starting to see the effects of climate change for this season across the country: warmer and dryer temperatures, forest fires from east to west (2214 wildfires and 3.3 Million hectares already burned so far this year in Canada) and more extreme events. Climate change brings an earlier spring which triggers a drier summer; shifting seasons are directly linked to warmer global temperatures.
As a start, to celebrate summer, WBCAT is happy to invite you to several upcoming events:
- Starting Tuesday June 5 and every Tuesday thereafter, WBCAT is partnering with Georgian Bay Forever (GBF) to organize and host weekly Beach Clean-up events. Come and join at Beach Area 2 every Tuesday morning this summer. Click>>>HERE
- June 9 and June 22: June is Bike Month. Join WBCAT for a bicycle ride on trails and quiet roads, meeting at the Wasaga Beach Recplex at 7:00pm. All ages welcome. Click>>HERE
- June 21 Seniors’ Information and Active Living Expo 10am to 2pm at the Recplex Please come and visit the WBCAT booth!
Also, to report on some spring activities, your Wasaga Beach Climate Action Team (WBCAT) has been busy participating in and hosting several of the following events:
- April 15/16, WBCAT participated with a booth at the Home & Garden Show, at the Wasaga Beach Recplex, a great opportunity to engage with the community and other exhibitors and discuss climate actions. Click>>>HERE
- April 30: WBCAT hosted a Community Wide Spring Shoreline Clean-up at Beach Area 1, and we beat the attendance record of any Wasaga beach clean-up event – Click>>>HERE
- May 10: WBCAT partnered with Impact Wasaga to host a “Perfect Pairing Night” at Yammas Grill. We want to extend our heartfelt gratitude for the generous and invaluable support of our sponsors, donors, elected officials and participants for playing a pivotal role with their commitment in making our community wine pairing event a resounding success. Click>>>HERE
- May 13: We completed our fundraising sale of Rain Barrels to conserve water and delivered 60 rain barrels, as well as a few composters, with the buyers taking advantage of the $30 credit on their water bill offered by the Town of Wasaga Beach. click>>>HERE
- June 3: WBCAT promoted and participated in Trail Tunes, in recognition of Bike Month. This was a collaborative, regional event connecting over 100kms of trails and rich musical culture within Wasaga Beach, Collingwood, and Clearview Township Click>>>HERE
- Breaking News: Kathleen Caswell, WBCAT President, was recognized during the Wasaga Beach Chamber of Commerce Women in Business Awards with the Eco-Friendly Woman of the Year award, and The Sun/Simcoe.com published this article about her. Click>>>HERE
- WBCAT monthly column in the BeachBOOSTER: “THE FIGHT TO KEEP MICROPLASTIC OUT OF THE WATER” CLICK>>>HERE
- WBCAT monthly column in What’s up? Georgian Bay: “GARDENING FOR CLIMATE CHANGE!” Click HERE and navigate to page 18>>>
AND TAKE CLIMATE ACTION NOW:
- Take the WBCAT Carbon Footprint Challenge: It is very easy, in less than five minutes and a few clicks, you’ll receive a snapshot of your household carbon footprint and it will suggest what actions you can take to lower it. Click here>>>CARBON FOOTPRINT CHALLENGE
- Tru Earth fundraising: Order online and Save up to 25% on Tru Earth Laundry Strips and other green products. Help the environment and support the Wasaga Beach Climate Action Team’s fundraising. Tru Earth has a vision to reduce the number of plastic laundry jugs that end up in landfills every year. Click>>>HERE
Get outdoor, summer is a good time for climate action NOW.